Monday 28 November 2011

The Goth Age


Goths. A massively discriminated group; yet they function so well. I read an article, a small article about a couple, a Goth couple, which just wanted to get on a bus a facility used by any member of the general public. The bus driver did not allow them on. This is purely judging a book by its cover.



So what defines someone as a Goth? Is it wearing all black, having a few studs here and there…? Is it dying your hair green or purple? Wearing black eye make up on a daily basis?  Why do Goths, who purely wear what they wear because they like it, get judged so easily, yet in fashion, elements of ‘Goth’ are involved all the time? And people just let that slide, they do not think of it in the same way? Is any of this fair? No. 
This of course does not go unseen, people are endlessly talking about subjects like this. 
Here is a girl, she is wearing red lipstick, has a black bob, black eye make up, tattoos and a black bra/top, is this still classed as a 'Goth look'?
Here is a shot from vera wang 2008, the woman is wearing all black, is she a 'Goth'? Of course we can't truly tell what sort of person this model is, and most likely she isn't really a Goth but here could she be classed as one. 
Here Damon Baker, faces the issue of Goths in fashion, 



'This industry is always developing and is open to a personal sense of style. In my opinion, gothic culture has inspired the fashion side greatly as of late, especially with magazines like Dazed & Confused and i-D.'

This interview was done in June this year.

The last photo I have here is of Abby from NCIS. She has often been asked whether she is a goth or a punk and she simply replied 'who cares?' because really who does care what you wear? When really people don't have the right to judge. As a human being sometimes you can't help it, but does it really need to become a big issue.

The reason I began talking about this, is as of recent I have become more and more aware of the way I dress, I often wear black and I like skulls and crosses. I have often been told I have a gothic sense to my fashion, and though I have never even thought of changing the way I dress due to other peoples opinions, I am writing this for those, who are afraid to express themselves, I wouldn't call myself alternative or 'out there' but really 'who cares?'

No comments:

Post a Comment